An artist without an easel is like Superman without his cape. Whether you’re buying your easel for school, college, or even for picnics, you’ll find some excellent picks below out of the best portable easels on the market.
If you don’t have a solid portable easel that lets you put your ideas to art wherever you go, most of your ideas will go to waste.
The Best Portable Easel Options on the Market
A portable easel needs to be lightweight to avoid giving you a hard time. It also needs to be easy to use and compact to fit anywhere. I compiled the best portable easels on the market on this list below with these considerations in mind.
Best Portable Easel – American Easel With Oak Yazhi Finish
- Stands 60 inches tall with a 21 inch by 20 inch footprint
- Manufactured with Northern red oak with a golden finish
- Adjustable 12 inch and 18 inch canvas holders; will hold up to 44 inch canvas; back leg with security chain
The portable American Easel is an ideal choice for beginner artists and students. It features a full wooden frame made of high-end red oakwood. It’ll take a lot of use before it gives in to wear and tear.
The high-quality material is partially responsible for the easel’s relatively high price.
The easel weighs around 11 pounds, which is heavy enough to carry the weight of your canvas but light enough not to tire you out if you carry it.
Additionally, the easel can hold canvas up to 44 inches in length. It has non-skid feet that are made of rubber. This way, you don’t find your canvas and paint facing the floor after an accidental push.
The easel has a fold-flat design, so you can tuck it away compactly when it’s not in use. Its only major downside is the lack of a tray. That’s why I said it’s more suitable for beginners and students.
Professional artists will need more features, but the easel is ideal for someone just starting with a medium-sized canvas.
- Non-skid feet to avoid falling incidents
- Foldable frame for storage
- High-quality, durable oak redwood structure
- No tray included
Paris Deluxe Artist French Easel
If you don’t want to deal with a lot of packages when going on a picnic or going painting, this Paris Deluxe easel may be the one for you. It has a briefcase-like design that includes an integrated handle and straps.
This way, you can fold the easel down on all your tools and canvases and get going with it.
While this means it’s heavier than your average easel, it also means you’ll no longer need a separate bag for your tools.
The straps are made of durable leather that looks trendy and artistic. And, the easel itself is made of beechwood.
The easel weighs around 16 pounds, which isn’t too lightweight, but it’s still decent, considering it’ll hold all your tools and supplies.
The sketch box opens like a drawer to keep your paint in an arm-reach when you’re painting. Additionally, the easel folds down into a compact size for ease of storage and transportation.
- It eliminates the need for a supplies bag
- Straps and handle included
- Foldable into a compact size
- On the expensive side of the market
Best Portable Easel – Mont Marte Floor Easel w/Tilt Beech Wood
- This is a classic A-frame easel suitable for all levels of artists. It's perfect for home or studio use.
- Beautifully handcrafted from seasoned beech wood with high-quality steel fittings to ensure the ultimate in stability and durability.
- It has a ledge for brushes and paints, and the center column of the easels is easily adjustable with a convenient trigger action.
If you’re on the professional side of the scale, the Mont Marte easel may be the one you’re looking for. It features a beechwood frame that weighs around 18 pounds. It comes with an adjustable height, so you can change it according to your painting position.
On top of that, it comes fully equipped with a tray to hold your colors, brushes, and tools.
The Mont Marte’s size is enough for a moderate-sized canvas. It can hold up to 47 inches in length, which is quite decent for all skill levels.
If you don’t have past experience with portable easels, you may not be able to assemble this one. It’s a bit challenging, and the included guide doesn’t help much. However, it should be easy to figure out with some time.
The easel has a foldable lay-flat design, so you can fold it down and store it whenever you’re done with it. In addition, its beech wood frame is extra sturdy. So you don’t have to worry about hitting it against something or letting it drop accidentally. The easel will take it like a champ.
- Excellent value for a moderate price
- Tray included for painting tools
- Lay-flat design for ease of storage and transportation
- Hard to assemble
Mont Marte Signature Tabletop Easel
- Dimensions: 14.3 x 14.2 x 13.8-22in (36.5 x 36 x 35-56cm); holds canvases up to 20in (50cm) in height
- Fold out wings for canvas support (wingspan: 19.8in (50.5cm))
- Folds for easy transport and storage and comes with a carry bag
If you tend to paint mostly small canvases, a tabletop easel will be a more convenient option for you. It’ll take less space, and it’ll make it easier for you to handle the painting. Plus, it’s perfect for painting in small spaces and virtually anywhere.
If you want to paint while sitting in a cafe waiting for someone, this is the easel for the job.
The portable easel is made of aluminum, which is both sturdy and durable. It’s topped off by a trendy black finish that’s a nice change from the wooden easels we’re used to.
The frame can hold 20-inch tall canvases, which is pretty decent for small painting jobs. It has two arms you can move outwards to support your canvas further.
This package includes two easels for a perfectly affordable price. If you want more or less, there are packages of sixes and ones available.
Each easel weighs 2.5 pounds, which should be easy enough to carry in any bag.
- Lightweight and easy to carry anywhere
- Foldable in a cylindrical bag for ease of storage
- Support arms included for the canvas
- Too lightweight for some people
Best Portable Easel – U.S. Art Supply Wooden Tabletop Studio Easel
- A professional solid wooden adjustable tabletop artist studio easel and drawing board with rubber feet for sturdy surface grip. A natural wood...
- Sturdy adjustable desktop easel that extends to accommodate a canvas up to 23.5" high. The easel can be adjusted up to a full vertical incline,...
- Versatile adjustable table easel with multiple functions from painting, drawing and sketching to an elegant display easel. It's ideal for display...
If you want a tabletop easel, but the Mont Marte is too small for you, this US Art Supply one may be an excellent alternative.
First of all, it’s incredibly affordable compared to other similar easels. Despite that, it’s made of beechwood that’s highly durable. It’ll take a lot of abuse before it starts showing signs of wear and tear.
The A-frame design isn’t too large, so it can only support 31-inch canvases. Still, it’s decent for casual painting jobs and students.
Moreover, the easel bends back to 90 degrees, giving you enough freedom to set it up however you prefer.
The easel is meant for tabletop usage, so it doesn’t have a dedicated tray for your supplies. It’s ideal for painting in small spaces and on any counter.
On top of that, it has six base positions, so you can raise your painting off the table if you need.
After you’re done with the painting, you can use the easel as a showcase. Its solid construction will make a nice decoration piece on your side table.
- Highly affordable for beginners and hobbyists
- Durable, sturdy beechwood construction despite the low price
- It can be used as a showcase for your painting after you’re done
- Only suitable for beginners and hobbyists
Best Portable Easel – The Final Verdict
The American Easel Oak Yazhi Finish is a pretty solid option; it’s one of the best portable easels on the market. It comes at a moderate price, it’s lightweight enough to be carried anywhere, and it folds down for storage.
I’d say it has everything you need in a portable easel. If you prefer a tabletop design, the Mont Marte may be the one you’re looking for.
CLICK HERE to shop our huge selection of high quality paint by numbers kits!