In this article, we answer the question, do you need an easel for paint by numbers and whether or not it’s a worthy investment for your specific painting needs. We also share five of the best easels you can buy and why they may be a great addition to your painting equipment.
Paint by number kits are a fun way to experiment with painting with no prior knowledge or experience. However, all the bending and tilting might cause some nasty back pains.
When it comes to easels, there are just so many available options: easel stands for signs, easel poster stand, heavy duty wrought iron floor easel, plaque easel stands, poster easel, lightweight easel. But what kind of easel do you need for painting? Easel for signs? Wedding easel? Not really.
- 1 Should I Buy an Easel for Paint by Numbers?
- 2 Kids Art Easels
- 3 Top 5 Easels for Paint by Numbers
- 4 Do You Need an Easel for Paint by Numbers – Conclusion
Should I Buy an Easel for Paint by Numbers?
The short answer is yes. A wall easel, for instance, can improve your posture, enable you to adjust the canvas at any angle, and paint outdoors with comfort. We’re not talking about heavy duty easel for large mirror. We’re talking about art must-have’s and other art supplies.
However, whether or not you need an easel depends on three things:
- Do you plan to stand up or sit down?
- Where are you going to paint?
- What size of canvas are you going to use?
Easels allow for more control over your painting. You can adjust the canvas to your eye level, sit down or stand up, paint indoors or outdoors, or even paint large 25-inch oil masterpieces! If you feel like you need more flexibility, a drawing easel desk might be a great investment to make.
If you’re content with sitting at a desk or even painting on the floor, then an easel won’t be necessary.
As a general rule, I like to ask artists three questions. If they answer yes for any of them, then I’d definitely recommend an easel for them. Sometimes, this simple tool can account for the difference between a great artwork and mediocre one.
- Are you going to be painting large canvases?
- Do you plan to relocate often?
- Does your painting style shift from one to another?
Once you’ve decided that you need an easel, now it’s time to ask, which one to buy? Perhaps a metal easel display stand?
So Many Options Available!
When it comes to art easels, there are many options that are available in the market. Much like a heavy duty easel stand for mirror, you’d also find durable easelstand or display easels in any art supplies shop.
Also like the many options for an easel for mirror, you could also find cheap easels that meet your budget as well as other easele options that can be a tad expensive like the easel stand Staples have in their shop. You won’t run out of options!
We’ve grouped some of the best easels money can buy including large easel stand, painting easel for kids, or art desks. Each easel has its own pros and cons and is tailored for a specific painting style.
Kids Art Easels
If you’ve ever stepped foot inside a Hobby Lobby, you know that the craft aisle can be overwhelming. There are so many options for a craft easel, and it’s hard to decide which one is right for your project. But if you’re looking for an easel for your kids, we recommend getting a kids art easel.
Kids easels are specially designed for little ones, and they come in a variety of fun colors and patterns. Plus, they’re usually pretty affordable. And if you’re crafty (pun intended), you can even find kids easels with chalkboards, art exhibition display stand, magnetic dry erase board, or an art easel for 8 year old or younger!
So if you’re looking for a great way to display your child’s artwork, consider investing in a kids art easel. You won’t regret it!
Top 5 Easels for Paint by Numbers
Here are the five best easels you can buy right now, according to painting experts. These are not just for adults but for kids too who love to create! You might want to have them in your art storage drawer.
1. MIRATUSO A3 Tabletop Easel
- 【Angle Adjustable】 Our Tabletop Easel has 4 angles adjustments, can be set to the angle you prefer. Ergonomically design avoid your neck and...
- 【High Quality】 Selected high quality beech wood imported from Germany, make our art easel solid and durable. Unique fabrication technology...
- 【Rubber Foot Pad】 Rubber foot pads are set at the bottom to stabilize the easel, which is wear-resistant and non-slip when painting. Miratuso...
Miratuso’s easel combines practicality with elegance. It has a surface of 10.45×14.5 inches and weighs just under three pounds. This easel is perfect for home use, but can also be used in art class or in the outdoors.
What we liked the most about this easel is its folding mechanism. This easel can easily fold into a box formation. This allows for plenty of room inside the base, which is customizable according to your specific needs.
The adjustable tabletop means that it can be used with almost anything, from a small sketchpad to acrylics, oils, or even watercolors. We consider it the most versatile easel on the market!
Overall, this easel rarely disappoints. If you want a sturdy easel that’s multi-functional and lightweight, look no further. It’s a shame the wood is a little on the thin side. It seems to be able to handle whatever we throw at it, but we’re worried it won’t survive a couple of accidental drops.
- Versatile and lightweight
- First-class customer support
- Not the most durable material
2. T-Sign 72” Aluminum Easel Stand
- Adjustable Angle: Easy turn adjustable knobs for quick height & angle adjustments
- Canvas Size: Accommodates panels or canvases up to 37"h x 1.3"d and can hold up to 25 lbs
- Adjustable Height: 22"-72" - Perfect for floor stand or table top display, Folds to only 22" for easy storage and transporting, 72" maximum...
T-Sign’s easil stand looks noticeably different from our first pick. For starters, it looks like a tripod and is made from aluminum instead of wood.
Don’t get us wrong, this is still an A-class easel, but for slightly different purposes. This easel can accommodate canvases up to 72 inches! If you’re more interested in large paintings, this one should definitely be on your watchlist.
Moreover, the tripod setup makes it ideal for outdoor use. It’s an equally versatile easel as our first pick, but it might be a bit of a hassle to use it in tight spaces. Thankfully, you can fold it down to 22 inches, so at least it won’t take up a huge space in your storage area.
Overall, it’s another affordable easel sporting a different design. If you’re looking for a tripod design with adjustable knobs, this is the one for you.
- Legs are adjustable for unlevel grounds
- Easy to store
- Can accommodate large paintings
- Perfect for outdoor use
- A little wobbly
- Some models come with scratches
3. Meeden Tabletop Wooden Easel
- Beechwood Desk Easel Box - Handmade of premium, sanded solid European beechwood with brass-plated hardware and leather carrying handle,...
- Table Easel with 2 trays- 2 thicken sliders with slot stables canvas better and fit thin canvas & thicker stretched canvas, versatile piece of...
- Cleverly Friendly Design - The integrated drawer is lined with aluminum and features adjustable dividers, organize supplies the way you like....
Let’s ditch aluminium for a second and get back to wooden picture easels. This beauty from Meeden is lightweight, foldable, and resembles the popular Miratuso esael in most aspects.
If you seek true flexibility, this easel can give you seven different angles to work with. From 41 degrees up to 78 degrees, this easel will accommodate literally any painting position.
The extended size of this Amazon easel is 13x14x19 inches with an extendable height of up to 24.5 inches. If you’re looking to paint indoors, outdoors, or while traveling, you won’t find an easel with more flexibility than this.
It’s a little more expensive than the other models, but if you constantly change your stance or settings, this easel can become indispensable for some artists.
- Provides ultimate flexibility
- Heavy-duty wood
- Screws can fall off
4. ShowMaven French-Style Wooden Easel
If you’re looking for a premium easel, then look no further than the ShowMaven H-frame. This sturdy easel is commonly found in professional studios more than in amateur art classes. It’s made from Beechwood, which is known for its incredible durability and lightweight.
The H-Frame allows you to accommodate literally any canvas size. It supports up to 34 inches, but artists can put even bigger canvases on it without any decrease in efficacy.
There’s also a storage area suitable for brushes, colors, or anything else you’d in your painting session.
Finally, this model comes equipped with rollers for easier movement. Not to mention, the angle of the frame and the height are fully adjustable.
- Premium build
- Rollers for traveling
- Adjustable legs for uneven surfaces
5. Art Alternatives Marquis Artists Adjustable Desk Box Easel
- Light-weight yet sturdy pine construction
- Accommodates a canvas up to 11" x 14"
- Brass latch secures easel drawer
Lastly, we have the Marquis box easel from Art Alternatives. The small form factor on this easel gives it incredible portability. You won’t find big storage areas for brushes or other tools, but this model promises you incredible portability at just about 2.5 pounds.
The wood is lightweight but not hollow. We can see this model surviving a fall or two. It can accommodate up to 11×14 inches and is adjustable at four different angles.
If you’re interested in painting big canvases, this easel might not be for you. However, if you’re looking for the ultimate portability and a lightweight design, you can go for anything other than the Marquis box easel.
- Best in portability
- Lightweight design
- Several adjustment settings
- Can’t accommodate larger canvases
- Limited storage area
Do You Need an Easel for Paint by Numbers – Conclusion
All in all, we can’t help but recommend the MIRATUSO A3 Tabletop Easel as the best easel for any painter. It combines a small form factor with great flexibility at an attractive price. Few can beat this easel in terms of efficiency.
However, if you’re looking to shell out some extra cash for a premium easel, then look no further than the ShowMaven French-Style Wooden Easel. It’s durable, portable, and can accommodate almost any canvas size. You can also find a tall easel if you need one. Perhaps a tall metal easel will be more durable, so you could take a look at that when you shop for a cheap easel stand or an affordable one.
In any case, you can’t go wrong with any of our top-rated easels. It’s imperative that you choose the one that’ll work best with your specific painting style.
CLICK HERE to browse our complete selection of high quality paint by numbers kits!