Paint by numbers is one of the top 100 hobbies of all time. It’s enjoyed by children, burgeoning artists, and seasoned professionals alike. It seems deceptively easy, which is probably why it has continued to be a favorite pastime over the decades.
The nice thing about paint by number kits is that they include everything you need to complete your masterpiece. You’ll very rarely find yourself running out of colors when working on a paint by numbers piece.
- 1 Basic Painting Parts Paint by Number Kits
- 2 Painting Parts Paint by Number Tips and Tricks
- 2.1 1. Painting Parts Paint by Number – Get a Kit with a Frame
- 2.2 2. Iron Your Canvas
- 2.3 3. Find a Well-Lit Room to Work
- 2.4 4. Get Your Workspace Ready
- 2.5 5. Take a Picture of Your Canvas
- 2.6 6. Hide the Numbers
- 2.7 7. Painting Parts Paint by Number – Take Care of Your Paint and Brushes
- 2.8 8. Start from the Top
- 2.9 9. Add Some Artistic Touches
- 2.10 10. Painting Parts Paint by Number – Enjoy the Process
- 3 Painting Parts Paint by Number – A Final Note
Basic Painting Parts Paint by Number Kits
Paint by numbers kits may vary, but there are three basic components that you’ll find in virtually all kits. Let’s go over each component briefly.
- Super value of 28 canvases for painting multiple size value pack,7pcs each of 5x7, 8x10, 9x12, 11x14 inches
- Each white canvas in this pack is already primed with 8 oz. of acid-free acrylic gesso. No prep necessary — you're ready to start creating...
- Suitable for variety of artist media from oil paint and watercolors to acrylic painting, pastels, tempera, and gouache. Great for create...
Each pre-printed canvas is divided into small sections. Each area is marked with a marker that matches a specific color.
Typically, paint by numbers canvas sizes are all 16 x 20 inches. There are also small ones that measure 9 x12 inches, while medium canvases are about 12 x 16 inches.
- Find Your Hue - WEISBRANDT Ultra Color Arts & Crafts Acrylic Paint Set features 28 vibrant matte colors waiting on you to find your hue. These...
- Unleash Your Joy And Creativity - These artist-quality paints are quite versatile. This set offers you a wide variety of options to choose a...
- Create a Variety of Textures – Acrylic paint kit features strong colors with a fluid consistency since they are water-based. Acrylic paints...
Their one downside is that they dry extremely quickly. This is both good and bad, depending on how you look at it.
The good news is that quick-drying paint means you can take less time to finish your painting. It also means you can correct mistakes quickly.
- FINE TIP MINIATURE PAINT BRUSH SET includes all your pointed liners, rounds, flats, and spot brushes. Perfect oil paint brush set for detailed...
- PERFECTLY WEIGHTED AND BALANCED ergonomic design provides absolute control, comfort, and precision. Well balanced, steady control with precision...
- BEAUTIFUL HANDCRAFTED BIRCHWOOD with 7 layers of protective lacquer coat for a professional look. Triangular handle provides the perfect...
Each paint by numbers kit comes with its own paintbrush. It’s usually small-sized to help you manage smaller sections.
Some kits come with three different sized brushes. You can use them to add different effects like crispness and softness to your painting, depending on the look you’re trying to achieve.
Painting Parts Paint by Number Tips and Tricks
Try the following tips and tricks to make the most of your paint by numbers masterpiece.
1. Painting Parts Paint by Number – Get a Kit with a Frame
Almost every single piece of beautiful artwork is framed. So, why shouldn’t yours?
Having a frame means your canvas is pulled tight. This makes it easier to add colors. Another big advantage is that a frame highlights your artwork. It gives the painting poise and a sense of balance.
- DETAILS: Size in the description is canvas size to fit in Floater Frame (inner dimensions). Perfect for 1.198 Inch thick canvas painting.
- INFO: With P&L Art Floater Canvas Frames, creating the floating canvas effect has never been easier! Floater Frames are the preferred way to...
- VIEW: P&L Art Canvas Floater Frames allow your entire work to be viewed, in fact even the sides of your canvas are easily seen. The dark interior...
2. Iron Your Canvas
Ironing the canvas helps colors stick smoothly. Plus, there are no wrinkles or creases that may hide a number or ruin the overall aesthetic of your painting.
To iron your canvas, place a tea towel over the canvas. Then, put the iron on low heat and start ironing. Start from one side and work slowly to cover the entire surface. You can iron it either on the front of the canvas or the back.
- MORE POWER: Classic Steam Iron comes equipped with 1200 Watts of power for quick heating
- POWERFUL SHOT OF STEAM FEATURE: works horizontally or vertically for hanging garments, upholstery, or drapery
- SPRAY MIST FEATURE: the spray mist feature helps smooth out even the toughest wrinkles
3. Find a Well-Lit Room to Work
Working in a well-lit area helps preserve your eyesight and reduce eye strain. It also allows you to see the numbers and the colors better.
Above all else, being in a room with natural light lifts your mood. With the help of natural lighting, your brain releases feel-good hormones such as serotonin.
Add paint and fun colors, and you’ve got the right prescription for combatting depression and anxiety.
4. Get Your Workspace Ready
Before you get started, cover your workspace with old newspapers to prevent paint from sticking to surfaces where it shouldn’t stick. The next step is to set up your supplies.
Lastly, you’ll need some paper towels or a cotton towel to wipe up splashes and to wipe your brushes.
- Pack contains 8 Family Rolls of Bounty white Quick Size Paper Towels
- Our shortest sheets are now more even more absorbent for a versatile clean
- More absorbent so you can use less* *vs. leading ordinary brand
5. Take a Picture of Your Canvas
Technology comes to our rescue once again. Before you begin painting, take a picture of your canvas with your phone.
This will be your reference guide once you’ve started adding colors. It can also help you zoom in on tiny sections to see the numbers properly.
6. Hide the Numbers
- Highly-Pigmented Colored Pencils - These drawing pencils are a fusion of Quality and performance. 20+ Years of Enhancement has gone into Each one...
- Wax-Based Lead Core Coloring Pencils - These Colored pencils for adult Coloring have a wax-based lead core. They are made using exclusive state...
- Must-Have Drawing Supplies - The lead of these Color pencils is Designed by expert craftsmen to provide rich Color lay-down, and smooth Coloring...
7. Painting Parts Paint by Number – Take Care of Your Paint and Brushes
Every artist knows the value of taking care of their supplies. Paintbrushes should be cleaned each time you switch colors. They should also be washed with warm water and soap when you’re done for the day.
Paint boxes should also be taken care of. The best way to prevent your paints from drying up is to firmly close each one when you’re done using them.
Also, it goes without saying, but if you’re not working with certain colors, it’s best to keep them closed. This way, when their turn comes, they’ll still be manageable and good as new.
- This liquid Dish Soap cuts through grease, while making dishes clean and bright
- Our Dish Soap has a biodegradable formula that contains plant-derived cleaning agents and other thoughtfully chosen ingredients to make grease...
- Garden-inspired Lemon Verbena has a light, refreshingly mild citrus scent
8. Start from the Top
Starting from the top of the painting reduces the risk of smudges. It’s also a more methodized way of finishing your painting.
This is by no means a hard and fast rule. Some people like starting with the background, others color in descending order. Then, some start with all the darker colors first before moving on to the lighter ones. The best thing to do is to try each technique, and see which one works for you.
9. Add Some Artistic Touches
While the picture printed on the canvas may be generic, your artistic touches certainly aren’t. There are a few basic painting techniques you can apply to make your painting unique.
A few examples of paint by numbers techniques you can use include:
- Thin Layering: Paint in thin layers to preserve the texture of the canvas.
- Blending: Gently mesh two or more colors to create a subtle shift or to soften lines.
- Streaking: Add soft fine lines of a light shade over a darker one to show texture.
- Highlighting: Apply light color to section borders to enhance their appearance.
- Varnishing: Brush a Gloss Medium over the finished painting to protect and enrich it.
- 32 Ounce (1 Quart) Bottle of Pouring Masters Gloss Pouring Effects Medium. A glossy liquid acrylic pouring medium that improves the consistency...
- A clear gloss medium with acrylic polymers that enable the artists to adjust their acrylic paint viscosity to create amazing poured sheets,...
- Adjusts the viscosity of acrylic paint to the ideal consistency for creating cell effects and enhances the paint finish to prevent cracking,...
10. Painting Parts Paint by Number – Enjoy the Process
Paint by numbers shouldn’t be done quickly. It shouldn’t feel like a burden or chore that you have to rush through.
To get the full thrill and enjoyment of the process, try to take your time. Focus on each of the parts that go into making a stunning and elegant work of art.
By being present in the moment, you’ll feel calmer and more relaxed. You’ll also enjoy the experience a whole lot more. This way, you can be proud of all the effort you put in to create such a perfect painting.
Painting Parts Paint by Number – A Final Note
Painting by numbers can be a lot of fun. It’s a hobby that teaches discipline and patience, and it can improve your cognitive abilities. Plus, you get to hang your masterpiece on the wall when you’re done!
The best thing about it is that it comes with all the painting parts you need to complete your art project. So, what are you waiting for? Invest in a paint by numbers kit and unleash your inner artist.
To view a complete gallery of our paint by numbers kits, CLICK HERE!