What replacement paint for paint by numbers should you get if you run out of paint before you’ve completed your painting? Naturally, you don’t want to wait between six and eight weeks for a company in China to send you a new set of pots. Except for Ledgebay, we ship all of our numbers kits from the U.S. with 2-5 day shipping.
Even if you still have plenty of paint, you may be unhappy with the quality of the paints in your kit. Fortunately, finding replacement paint is a snap. Take a look.
- 1 What is Paint by Numbers?
- 2 What Are Paint by Numbers Paints Made of?
- 3 Why Would You Need Replacement Paint for paint by numbers?
- 4 Buying Replacement Paint
- 5 DIY Replacement Paint
- 6 DIY Paint Benefits
- 7 Tips
- 8 Final thoughts on replacement paint for paint by numbers
What is Paint by Numbers?
- PAINT BY NUMBERS KIT: Bring out the artist in you and let yourself indulge in the process of creating a masterpiece on a canvas using vibrant...
- EASY TO FOLLOW STEPS FOR PAINTING: The DIY paint by number kit uses an easy-to-follow number system. Each canvas has pre-printed numbers along...
- CREATE A BEAUTIFUL MASTERPIECE: Add life to the canvas step by step using the vibrant color palette that is provided along with the kit. Let your...
Paint by numbers is a kit that includes a canvas, paint containers, a set of brushes, and sometimes a frame. The canvas is divided into sections. Both the canvas and the paint containers are marked by the same numbers. This way, you know where each color goes.
What Are Paint by Numbers Paints Made of?
- Acrylic Paint Set With 12 Brushes: Premium paints glide on smoothly, dry quickly and stay as beautiful as the day they were painted. Whether...
- High Quality, Rich Pigments, Certified Safe & Non-Toxic: No need to worry about toxicity with our acrylic paint. The acrylic water-based...
- Premium Arts & Diy Craft Supplies. Caliart acrylic paints are versatile in canvas art, painting, scrap booking, Christmas, Halloween decorations...
Some paint by numbers paints are oil paints, but most are acrylic. Acrylic paint is popular among artists because it produces rich, bright colors, and it’s water-soluble and quick to dry. Moreover, this kind of paint is also more heat-resistant and safer to handle than oils.
Why Would You Need Replacement Paint for paint by numbers?
Most paints that come with ready-made paint by numbers tend to be low-quality. Even worse, a lot of them have more binder than pigment, and often they arrive dried up in the paint pots. In addition, the lighter-colored paints are notorious for never being opaque enough.
Buying Replacement Paint
- Exciting Selection of Artist-Quality Colors: Whether you’re new to acrylic painting or a seasoned artist, colors like Lemon Yellow, Phthalo...
- Rich, Vivid Pigments: Your premium acrylic paint kit features smooth, highly pigmented color to produce true, consistent shades. Ideal for canvas...
- Certified Safe & Non-Toxic: No need to worry about toxicity with our acrylic paints. They’re ACMI-certified safe for your complete peace of...
Your budget and the color of the paint are your two parameters here. In other words, any store-bought paint is a good replacement for the paint provided in your kit. As long as you use a color that’s close enough to the
original one, your finished painting will turn out fine.
That said, Arteza is a particularly popular brand of acrylic paints, and for a good reason. Here are some of the areas where Arteza stands out compared to other brands:
- Great value for money
- Creamy consistency
- Artist-grade paints
- Excellent opacity that doesn’t require multiple coats
You can also use poster colors, gouache colors, or watercolors. However, keep in mind that watercolors will probably need several coats because of their transparent quality. As a result, they can be tricky for beginners.
DIY Replacement Paint
If you’re a DIY enthusiast or you’re looking for more frugal options, here are a few great options you can safely make at home.
Make Your Own Paint from Old Wax Crayons
- CRAYOLA CRAYONS BULK: 2 packs of 64 count Crayola Ultra Clean Washable Crayons for kids.
- WASHABLE CRAYONS: Easily washes clean from skin, washable clothing, and most washable surfaces.
- STRONG & DURABLE: These art tools for kids are double wrapped for added durability and strength.
Instead of throwing away old wax crayon stubs, recycle them with this neat DIY paint recipe. Of course, you can try other crayons, but the wax kind melts best.
Here’s what you need:
- Small containers for your paint
- Any wax crayons you’ve got lying around
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of water
- Two tablespoons of salt
To melt the wax crayons, choose one of these options:
- Hot water
- A container to be left out in the sun
- Mix the water, flour, and salt.
- Add flour if you want your paint to be thicker or add water if you want it thinner.
- Break up your crayons.
- Melt each color separately using one of the methods above.
- Add a tablespoon of the flour mixture to each container and mix until you get a smooth, well-blended paint.
Make Your Own Watercolor Paints
- WATERCOLOR PAINT SET FOR KIDS AND ADULTS: Explore the world of watercolors with our 24-count set, suitable for both kids and adults. Perfect for...
- BULK WATERCOLOR PAINTS FOR CREATIVE CLASSROOMS: Get watercolors in bulk for your classroom or art projects. Encourage children's creativity with...
- GOODY BAG STUFFERS & PARTY FAVORS: Make kids' parties memorable with our mini paint set party favors and cool pencils. Ideal for goody bags and...
Below are the ingredients you need:
- Three bowls
- Mixing spatulas
- One or more dry pigments
- ½ cup of Gum Arabic Powder
- ½ cup of hot water
- ⅕ cup of honey or glycerin
- Two drops of clove or thyme essential oil or one teaspoon of sodium benzoate
- In your first bowl, mix the hot water and the Gum Arabic Powder.
- Mix in the honey, then the essential oil for short-term preservation, or the sodium benzoate for long-term preservation.
- In your second bowl, add 9 tablespoons of your mixture.
- Add one tablespoon of honey (or glycerin) and mix well.
- In your third bowl, mix one part of your mixture with one part pigment.
- Certain colors will need more or less pigment than others, so observe and adjust accordingly.
- Allow it to dry into cakes in half-pans or a mini-muffin tray. Alternatively, you can store in airtight jars and keep in the fridge.
Make Your Own Poster Paint
These are the ingredients necessary to whip up your own poster paint:
- A saucepan
- One small container per color
- 1/4 cup of flour
- One cup of water (for the saucepan)
- Three tablespoons of powdered tempera paint
- Two tablespoons of water per container (to add later to each container)
- 1/2 teaspoon of liquid starch or liquid detergent
- Add your flour into a saucepan.
- Keep stirring the flour while adding the water until smooth paste forms.
- Turn the heat on and keep stirring until the paste thickens.
- Turn the heat off and move your saucepan off the stove.
- Allow to cool, then measure 1/4 cup of the paste into each small jar.
- Add the powdered tempera paint and two tablespoons of water into each container.
- Use liquid starch if you want a matte finish or liquid detergent if you want a glossy finish.
Make Your Own Acrylic Paint
You can even make your very own acrylic paint using these ingredients:
- Dust mask
- Painting spatula
- One or more dry pigments
- Acrylic medium
- Acrylic retarder
- Put on your gloves, goggles, and dust mask.
- Measure out the recommended amount of pigment (as per the brand’s instructions) into your bowl.
- Mix a few drops of water and mix to get a sauce-like consistency with as few lumps as possible.
- Pour your acrylic medium and blend.
- Add your acrylic retarder so that the paint doesn’t dry out.
DIY Paint Benefits
In addition to getting the paint you need when you run out, making your own paint comes with other benefits:
Any paint you make at home will be better and less stiff and gluey than most ready-made paint by numbers paint.
Making your own paint will cost you less than most replacement paints or store-bought paint.
Rather than wishing your paint was more opaque, thicker, or richer in color, you get to control the process and make only the paint you want.
Here are a few solutions to some common paint problems, as well as a few tried-and-true tips.
Measure Your Recipe
If you hit upon a formula that gives you a fantastic shade of color, you want to be able to reproduce it down to a tee.
In other words, make sure to measure everything and take meticulous notes. This eliminates wasting time and supplies on guesswork every time you need a fresh pot.
Work in Batches
If there’s a color that requires mixing two paints, don’t mix a tiny bit of color every single time you paint a section. Instead, mix half of a paint pot’s worth and store it in a small container. Then remember to mark that pot with the number of the paint you’re replacing.
Had enough trying to smear a clay-like blob of paint onto the canvas? Instead, add water into the pot and stir. You may have to repeat this step multiple times until you get a workable paint, but you’ll eventually end up with something usable.
Check the lid of the paint pot and make sure to use the paint that’s stuck to the inside of the lid before it dries out.
Go Darkest First
Start with the darkest number. Otherwise, if you paint your light sections first, you might accidentally paint over something you’ve already colored in white or yellow.
Cover Those Numbers
Some paints are so light that the number on the canvas will still be visible underneath three or four coats. But if you start with a layer of white paint first, you can solve the problem. After the white paint dries, apply your light-colored paint and watch the number disappear entirely.
If you have toddlers or pets who want to get those little hands or paws on your new project, it’s wise not to wait around for your paint to dry. Point your hair drier or heat gun at your freshly applied paint to avoid any wet mishaps.
- HIGH POWER MAGNIFICATION: This magnifying glass provide 30X magnification, allowing users with low vision to read text, no matter the size.
- ULTRA BRIGHT 18 LED WITH 3 MODES: The built-in energy-saving 18 LED lights provides extra luminance to ensure an overall better reading...
- EASY TO USE: Comes completely assembled, just requires 3x AAA batteries (not included). Easy to operate with a simple ON / OFF button switch,...
Take a Break
Sitting hunched over your canvas with your eyes laser-sharp on all those tiny numbers is hard work. Therefore, it’s important to take breaks every one or two hours. Stretch, walk around the room and rest those peepers.
Final thoughts on replacement paint for paint by numbers
Whether you’ve run out of the paints included in your paint by numbers kit or you simply dislike the quality, there are several ways to get replacement paint for paint by numbers. It’s as simple as ordering a set of poster or acrylic colors or whipping up your own vibrant artistic brew. Now get painting!
Stay Tuned – We (Ledgebay) will be offering replacement paint sets FALL 2020!