Are you planning to buy a paint by numbers kit for the very first time? Or are you someone who already does painting by numbers and wish to improve on your work? Keep reading for 15 paint by number tips to help you create a stunning work of art.
Some people consider its impact life-changing.
But regardless of your reason for trying it out, did you know that you can come up with stunning outputs? You don’t need to be a seasoned artist to create outstanding artwork.
Continue reading below as we discuss some tips that will help you come up with your paint by numbers masterpiece.
- 1 The Keys to Creating a Masterpiece
- 2 1. Know Where to Start
- 3 2. Care for Your Paint
- 4 3. Lighting Matters
- 5 4. Dark to Light
- 6 5. Hide the Numbers
- 7 6. White Paint for Errors
- 8 7. A Magnifying Glass Helps
- 9 8. Flat Surface and Some Newspaper
- 10 9. Thin Out Your Paint
- 11 10. Practice Patience
- 12 11. Iron the Wrinkles
- 13 12. Acrylic Sealant Against Dust
- 14 13. Care for Your Brushes
- 15 14. Varnish for a Perfect Finish
- 16 15. Give It a Good Frame
- 17 Enjoy Paint by Numbers Today!
The Keys to Creating a Masterpiece
There is no question that some people look at paint by numbers like recreation and nothing more. Unlike traditional methods of painting, it uses numbers that serve as guides as to which type of color you should use for a specific part of the canvass.
1. Know Where to Start
Before anything else, you need to know where to start. One of the factors to consider is the hand you use for painting.
Are you right-handed? Then start from the top left down to the bottom-right portion. Are you left-handed? Then start at the top right down to the bottom left section.
Moreover, you should also consider working on descending order. This means working on a larger area first then slowly moving to the smaller ones. This will help you save more time.
It will also keep you from accidentally smudging your work.
2. Care for Your Paint
- VIVID COLORS - Our paint set for adults and kids is uniquely crafted to bring out maximum brilliance and color clarity. The rich viscosity also...
- NON-TOXIC ART SUPPLIES - Formulated with a non-toxic composition, these acrylic paint sets for adults and children are safe for the whole family...
- A COMPLETE PAINTING SET - Our acrylic paints have a premium consistency, perfect for blending, layering, and creating texture. Along with your...
Another key to creating impressive artwork is maintaining the quality of your paint. This involves closing your paint cups when you are not using them.
Keeping the lids open may cause the paint to dry up quickly. When this happens, it will affect the quality of the acrylic paint. In much worse cases, your paint becomes useless.
Additionally, you may consider covering your paint cups with a light coating of clear acrylic sealer. This will keep the paint from drying up and will prolong its shelf life.
3. Lighting Matters
Using the right kind of lighting is also crucial in creating quality work. Invest in a good lamp that is strong enough to help you paint even at night.
Give yourself a few minutes to rest your eyes. Painting with tired eyes affects the quality of your work. Take a short nap if you must then go back with a rejuvenated pair of eyes.
4. Dark to Light
Another important tip involves your color choice. Take a look at your canvas and use the darkest color first before using the lighter ones.
This will give you a better perspective of how the colors affect each other. Moreover, you will better appreciate your work as you slowly transition from the darkest shade to the lightest.
5. Hide the Numbers
You also need to learn how to “hide” the numbers. This means making sure that the numbers do not show through. To pull this off, you need to look closely at the number of coats you use.
Generally, a single coat of paint is enough to cover most numbers. Using lighter colors, however, may require an extra coating or two. Give your work a closer look to see if it requires additional coating.
But make sure not to overcoat it.
Additionally, you can also consider covering the number using a white-colored pen. You should do this right before you apply the first coating.
6. White Paint for Errors
- Our Acrylic Paint Set: The must-have paint kit for all your craft projects, no matter how big or how small. The bright, bold colors of this...
- The Highest Quality Raw Materials are selected to make our Acrylic paint set. Uniquely formulated to ensure the best quality with a fantastic...
- Rich, Vivid Pigments, AP Certified Safe & Non-Toxic: The acrylic water-based non-toxic paint is safe for all ages. The bold and bright color...
Speaking of the color white, use white paint to cover your errors. Sometimes, you use the wrong color on the wrong box. Instead of covering it with the right color, apply some white paint first.
White paint also helps clean out the edges of your artwork.
7. A Magnifying Glass Helps
- Hardcover Book
- Peter Pauper Press (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
One of the keys to creating a masterpiece is attention to detail. And one of the tools that will help you do so is a magnifying glass.
When working on an intricate paint by numbers kit, use a magnifying glass to get a better view of the small areas. These tricky areas can cause you to go over the borders.
A magnifying glass can also help you find numbers in those small areas.
8. Flat Surface and Some Newspaper
- Foam board with one color throughout has a 3/16" polystyrene CFC-free core.
- Smooth surface accepts screen printing, glue, paint or markers.
- Polystyrene CFC-free 3/16" core.
Another key to achieving flawless artwork is stability. Thus, if you are using a canvas, you need to work on a hard and flat surface. To ensure that your canvas doesn’t move, tape it against your table.
But if you prefer working while on the sofa, mount your canvas onto cardboard. You may also use a foam core.
Furthermore, make sure to cover your workspace with newspaper. Even if paint by numbers is not messy, there is a risk of spilling water all over your desk. You may also use plastic as covering if you don’t have newspapers at home.
9. Thin Out Your Paint
- Each bottle contains an eyedropper device
- Improve flow through needle on Air Brush
- Presented in plastic bottles of 32ml
To thin your paint, you can opt for some paint thinner. You may also try using a flow-improver. This is a kind of liquid that you add to the paint to thin it down.
One drop of flow-improver at a time is all you need. The good thing about the flow-improver is that it doesn’t affect the strength of the color. It also allows the paint to spread evenly.
You can also use water as your final option. But make sure to use the right amount. Additionally, try using less paint than what you initially think you need.
10. Practice Patience
Like in any form of art, paint by numbers requires patience. This means taking your time as you go through each number. Keep in mind that this is not a race.
Even experts agree that patience is the key to creating marvelous artwork.
Appreciate the color transitions. Marvel at the small details and how the colors affect each other.
11. Iron the Wrinkles
- MORE POWER: the Steammaster comes equipped with 1400 Watts of power for quicker heating
- POWERFUL SHOT OF STEAM FEATURE: works horizontally or vertically for hanging garments, upholstery or drapery
- SPRAY MIST FEATURE: the Spray Mist feature helps smooth out even the toughest wrinkles
Make sure to flatten out the wrinkles. Some canvases tend to wrinkle, creating uneven areas. When this happens, place a damp towel over the iron board and place the canvas facing down.
Take a steam iron and work on the back part of the canvas. Make sure to use low heat as you straighten out the wrinkles.
12. Acrylic Sealant Against Dust
- Acrylic sealer spray provide a protective, clear finish
- Give a glossy luster to virtually any indoor or outdoor project
- A durable protective finish
To keep the beauty of your artwork, you need to protect it from the elements. Thus, keep the dust away by applying some acrylic paint sealant.
13. Care for Your Brushes
- CREATE A MASTERPIECE: Our follow the numbers system allows anyone to create a beautiful piece of art
- EASY TO FOLLOW: Match the pre printed numbers on the canvas with the coordinating numbered paint
- FINE TIP PAINT BRUSH SET includes all your pointed liners, rounds, flats, and spot brushes.
Your brushes are like your magic wand. To keep the magic going, clean your brushes as you go.
Acrylic paint tends to dry fast. When it dries up, it becomes thick, making it hard for you to rinse off.
Make sure you have a glass of water and some paper towels beside you. Use them to clean your brushes immediately after use. Don’t dip your brushes into another color without washing them first.
Also, you can use some paint thinner to clean the brushes.
- Our strongest ever Brawny Pick-A-Size Paper Towels have the strength you need to tackle even your toughest messes.
- Each Double Roll has 120 2-ply sheets and is equal to 2 Brawny Regular Rolls, so you can change the roll less often.
- Full- or half-sheet paper towels that are just the right size for everyday tasks.
14. Varnish for a Perfect Finish
- 🛡️ PROTECT YOUR PRINTS IN MUSEUM GALLERY FASHION. You’ve spent your precious time and money making your prints. Now you must protect them...
- 💧 WATER BASED SO YOU CAN BREATHE EASY. Unlike other print varnish products on the market, our Timeless Archival Print Varnish is water based....
- ⭐ THE VARNISH THE PROS USE. We all know and appreciate how much detail goes into art. It’s the one subject that most people can’t argue...
Once you’re done painting, you can put on the finishing touches. Apply some varnish to give your artwork that glossy shine.
Varnish helps highlight the details of your work and it also makes your painting look better on camera.
15. Give It a Good Frame
- DETAILS: Size in the description is canvas size to fit in Floater Frame (inner dimensions). Perfect for 1.25 Inch thick canvas painting.
- INFO: With P&L Art Floater Canvas Frames, creating the floating canvas effect has never been easier! Floater Frames are the preferred way to...
- VIEW: P&L Art Canvas Floater Frames allow your entire work to be viewed, in fact even the sides of your canvas are easily seen. The dark interior...
Last but not least, frame your canvas to give it the proper presentation it deserves. You may use traditional frames if you are planning to hang your work inside your home.
If you are planning to showcase it on contemporary galleries, mounting it on stretcher bars is the way to go.
Enjoy Paint by Numbers Today!
Painting by numbers is fun, relaxing, and easy. But for serious painters, you can take your work to the next level by keeping in mind the tips we discussed above.
Whether you are a beginner or a veteran, you should go for some of the best paint by numbers kits available. Check out our different kits and offerings. We offer high-quality products that will help you appreciate painting by numbers on a much deeper level.
Send us a message and start painting today!