There are some vendors that offer custom paint by number kits on the market. These are similar to regular kits but with an image of your liking as a template. But can you design your own paint by number? And what are the costs of doing so?
In today’s article, we’ll walk you through a complete step by step guide to help you create your own paint by number. So without further ado, let’s dive in!
How to Design Your Own Paint By Number Kit
- EXCLUSIVE DESIGN: This Masterpiece is licensed exclusively to Ledgebay and a portion of all proceeds will go directly to the Artist. The Vibrant...
- REPLACEMENT PAINT SET: Full Set Of Acrylic Paints To Complete Your Paint By Number
- BONUS: Included in your kits; Wood Easel, Carrying Handle built in to the Box, and Full Set Of Instructions
In the following section, you’ll find all the information and steps you need to create your DIY paint by number kit. Let’s check them out:
Step 1: Pick a Good Photo for the Painting Kit
A lot of people think that any photo will work out fine for painting by number. However, there are some photos that are just better than others.
For example, a vectorized image is easier to paint than a raster one. Here’s a quick video that explains the difference between them.
Additionally, you need to make sure that the painting has a similar aspect ratio to the piece of the sheet you’re going to print it on.
The resolution of the original image is also important because you don’t want to paint a blurry or pixelated image.
Avoid pictures with cluttered backgrounds because they’re extremely difficult to replicate on a numbered basis and require professional-grade blending.
A good piece of advice here is to look for a simple image with contrasting colors (such as a cartoon image) if it’s your first time to do paint by numbers.
Step 2: Prepare the Paint By Number Materials and Supplies
- 🎨24 PACK PAINT SET WITH 3 BRUSHES - Each of acrylic paint set for paintings has vibrant 24 colors which consists of 24 bottles of 2 oz/60 ml....
- 🎨PREMUIM QUALITY PAINT- Premium outdoor/indoor use craft acrylic paint glide on smoothly, dry quickly and stay as beautiful as the day they...
- 🎨PERFECT GIFT CRAFT PAINT- Each of our acrylic paint bottles is safe, non-toxic and has professional quality so it can be rich gift for kid...
There are some essential materials that you need to gather if for your project. It’s better to prepare them beforehand rather than pause your painting to gather them. Ideally, you should bring the following:
- A set of acrylic paints with colors similar to the one in the image
- A set of paintbrushes of different sizes
- mixing paletteale
Additionally, there are optional but valuable items that you also need to bring, such as a foam board as back support, an acrylic sealer to preserve the painting, and a medium matte if you’re painting on a canvas.
Step 3: Create a Pre-Printed Template for Coloring
- 【Super Valuable】 In order to meet all of your painting demands and desires, this canvas panels set comes with 36 canvas boards in 4 popular...
- 【100% Cotton Canvas】 Each canvas panel has been processed with 8 ounces of acrylic paint primer so that you can start painting immediately...
- 【Multi-Use】Our painting canvas boards are suitable for variety of artistic media from oil paints and watercolors to acrylic, tempera, and...
One of the easiest ways to create a printable template for painting by numbers is by using special softwares that are designed for that job.
Luckily, there are several paint by number generators that allow you to view the rendered image instantly and even print it out. The most notable free options are Color-Dragon and PBNify.
Remember to adjust the width and resolution of the image before rendering it for painting. After that, print it out on a canvas or a set of acrylic-friendly paper
Step 4: Pick a Suitable Spot for Your Project
- ˂Material˃ Made from solid quality European beech (Fagus sylvatica) material. Easel with superior brass hardware, not easy to rust. And there...
- ˂Easel Dimensions˃ 14*10*3.5 inch(36*28*9 cm). Canvas up to 20 inch high. It has enough space to place the paper on easel. L shape bottom rung...
- ˂Widely Applicable˃ Suitable for kids, beginners, students, professional artists and people who love paintings. Suitable for studios, painting...
Fix or tape the pre-printed sheet or canvas on a foam back support or an easel, then find a well-lit and level surface that isn’t too crowded for painting, such as a desk.
Make sure that you clear out any unwanted items that can cause unwanted accidents before starting.
Step 5: Start Painting
With everything ready, all that’s left is to enjoy painting your own creation! Ideally, you should prepare a template of the original image so you can figure out the suitable colors for each number.
Tips While Painting Your Own Paint By Number
Now that your own paint by number kit is ready for painting, it’s important that you avoid any mistakes that can be hard to reverse. Here are some valuable tips that you should consider while painting:
- Paint by one number at a time to prevent opening multiple paint containers and drying them out
- If you leave a lot of smudges, try painting from the top down rather than by numbers while limiting the open containers as much as possible.
- Always keep a glass of clean water and paper towels nearby to wash and dry the brushes before switching colors.
- Paint the lighter shades first because they’re easier to fix in the case of error.
- If you paint the wrong color, simply wait for the paint to dry up then use the correct one.
- Avoid applying too much paint at a time. Instead, apply a new coat if the color seems faded.
- If you need to do blending, swipe a clean brush between two borders of colors before drying. Here’s a brief tutorial on how and when to blend
Are There Ready Made Alternative Paint By Number Kits on the Market?
- REAL LICENSED ARTWORK - Our paint by numbers for adults with the Ledgebay kit features designs from authentic licensed artwork. The artist makes...
- ROLLED PACKAGING - When it comes to protecting your paints, nobody does it better than Ledgebay. Their DIY painting by numbers for adults kit has...
- VACUUM SEALED - With our painting by numbers pack, you can keep your paint fresh and flexible for a long time. The vacuum-sealed design prevents...
If you don’t have enough time or DIY skills to follow the previous guide, there is a much easier alternative, which is going for a custom paint by number kit online.
These kits usually come in standard canvas sizes and are made with the same quality as a store or online-bought paint by number kits.
The good thing about these custom paint kits is that they come with all the needed materials for painting. In the most ideal cases, the kit should include the following:
- A pre-printed high-quality linen canvas with assigned numbers
- A detailed Instruction manual on how to paint as well as a coloring template for the finished product
- An acrylic paint set that is numbered corresponds to your custom photo
- A set of 3 to 5 paintbrushes of different sizes for both area coverage and fine painting
- A hanging kit, including traceless hooks and screws (not all kits come with this option)
However, the main disadvantage of these kits is that they can get quite pricey and usually take a few weeks to ship.
Also, some of the kits online have below-average finish quality, so they’re not suitable for home decoration.
How Much Would Creating Your Own Paint By Number Cost You?
It’s quite challenging to set a specific cost for creating your own paint by number because it depends on a wide variety of factors.
For starters, the materials and tools used for the kit would vary significantly in prices depending on their quality, such as the type of paint used as well as the quality of the canvas.
Also, using advanced software to come up with a professional paint by number finish will add up to the costs of creating one.
Moreover, the availability of some of these tools around your house will also impact the costs of the paint by number.
For example, if you already have acrylic paints, sealers, frames, or any other materials needed, the costs are significantly reduced.
To have a close estimation of what creating a paint by number would cost you, you should factor in the price of all the materials that you need for the project as well as the time needed to gather them.
On the other hand, custom paint by number kits that are available online have a specific price according to the quality of the finish and the materials used. They usually average from $10 to $100.
Design Your Own Paint by Number – Wrap Up
With that said, you now have a better understanding of whether you can design your own paint by number as well as the costs of doing so.
As you can see, you can create the painting on your own with simple steps. However, make sure that you follow the tips above the pick the most suitable image for the job.
If you don’t have enough time to create your own paint by number, you can always opt for a custom paint by number kit online, which is the easy alternative!
To shop our selection of paint by number kits, CLICK HERE!